Friday, February 11, 2011

Snow Day Soup

Snow Day Soup

Well here’s what my backyard looks like …

Boomer looks a little crazed in that pic but you can see how far the giant dog is sinking in the snow, that’s a LOT for Arkansas!

So warmth and comfort it is! Tonight I’m making chili per Jon’s request but last night I made minestrone. This is quickly becoming a favorite for me which is weird for several reasons

1. I don’t really like soup in general (if I like it, it’s usually got a lot of cream/milk)

2. I really don’t like vegetable soup (and this is basically glorified veg soup)

I do however LOVE this recipe – it makes your house smell like heaven!

Disclaimer ; this recipe is a version of Rachael Ray’s Midwinter Minestrone from her Look and Cook cookbook. I basically am posting the ‘I grocery shop at Wal-mart and they don’t have that ingredient’ version.

Here we go:

ingredients (ok so I forgot some things in the original set up)

Step 1:

In a large pot cook 2-3 strips of chopped bacon (this is optional and pretty much the only unhealthy part of this, so feel free to omit – also RR says pancetta)

Step 2 :

While that’s cooking chop 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 1 large onion, and 3 cloves of garlic.

Also get 2 bay leaves

Dump all of this into the pot and cook over medium high heat

Step 3 :

While that’s cooking, chop 1 package baby bella mushrooms (RR says something about dried porcinis – yeah) and 5-6 sun dried tomatoes.

dump those in with the other veg after about 10 min of cooking

Step 4:

Now you get to learn about Kale (Well at least I didn’t know until I learned this recipe)

(RR says something about purple Kale – I assure you, Wal-mart has green only)

Take the bunch of Kale, wash it, and then separate the leaves from the stems.

Chop the Kale into small-ish pieces and dump in the pot.

Step 5 :

Add 1 box of chicken stock, 4-6 cups of water (RR says 2 but that’s not enough for as much pasta as I add), 1 can of chickpeas, and 1/2 a box of a small whole wheat pasta.

Bring to a boil and cook until pasta is tender.

Play hide and seek with the bay leaves, and if you win pull them out.

Pour yourself a bowl, sprinkle some shredded romano cheese and go for it! It will warm your soul! (And your house will smell AWESOME!)

Also, go to my other blog and register to win free cake pops! Over 300 people read the post and only like 10 commented (crazy people – it’s FREE CAKE) so the odds are in your favor – go forth and win sweets!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Sweet Blog Design (© Copyright 2011)